Are you struggling with deciding to make a career change or follow your dreams? Everyone has dreams. Everyone has goals. Everyone struggles in making the decision to pursue them. How do I know this?
I’ve been right where you are at-twice. The first time was in January 2014. I had just watched a clip on CBS This Morning about a family where both parents lost their jobs. Together they read all the books on the best seller list at the time and then the wife sat down to write her own.
Once she was done, she uploaded it to Smashwords and sold 500 copies in a day. A year and three months later I published my first book. The second time was in July of 2015. I was not content in my job by any means and was looking into freelance writing as a side hustle.
I came across a course by Gina Horkey called 30 Days Or Less To Freelance Writing Success. I jumped in and never looked back. Since then, I have started freelance writing full time.
I also did a lot of reading during this time about work and how to pursue your dream job and your passions. I’ve come up with a list of 10 Essential Books To Inspire You To Follow Your Dreams. Here they are.
- Quitter by Jon Acuff-If you are looking for a book specifically about how to go from your day job to your dream job, this is it. Jon gives invaluable wisdom on the steps you should take while navigating this journey as well as providing great examples from his own life.
- START by Jon Acuff-This book is especially great for Baby Boomers who are starting second and third careers, but it can apply to anyone. If you have an idea buzzing in your head, this book gives you sound advice on how to START and what to expect when you do.
- DO OVER by Jon Acuff-Are you wondering if you have what it takes to to have a great career? You do! All you need is relationships, skills, character and hustle. In this inspiring book, Jon explains how anyone can have a DO OVER.
- The 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss- The 4 hour workweek introduces the concept of the ‘new rich’ and is a very interesting read. I enjoyed reading about Timothy and how he got to be where he is. Weather it is for you or not, the concept and principles are still an inspiring read.
- Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, MD-There are many mixed reviews on this book, but I absolutely loved it. It made me think differently about change and how people react as well as looking at failure differently.
- Rhinoceros Success-Scott Alexander-Are you a cow letting life pass you by or are you a Rhinoceros that chases down what you want? This is a great personal development book if you are ready to take life by the horns despite being surrounded by underachievers.
- The Legend Of The Monk And The Merchant-Terry Felber- A great little book about twelve principles to live by.
- Entreleadership-Dave Ramsey-This is a great book about author Dave Ramsey’s journey from the trenches to the top. Full of advice for the business owner who wants to grow their business and their team, this book is a must read.
- 48 Days To The Work You Love-Dan Miller-According to Dan Miller, a calling lights up your life. This book will help you understand and organize your skills, personality traits, values, dreams and passions. It is a great blueprint for getting you on the path to the work you love in 48 days.
- The Tortoise And The Hare by Aesop-Dave Ramsey once interviewed a billionaire and he said that The Tortoise And The Hare was one of his favorite books about life and business. I asked my husband for a copy last year for Christmas. Every once in awhile when things get hard, I will sit down and read it to remind myself that ‘slow and steady wins the race’.
Making big life decisions and deciding to chase your dreams is a noble pursuit. I have learned all kinds of lessons from the resources above and have read some of them more than once.
I encourage you to pick one up and let it inspire you and I wish you the best in whatever you want to pursue.
Do you have a favorite book about business, life or pursuing your dreams? Let me know in the comments.