Are you struggling with deciding to make a career change or follow your dreams? Everyone has ideas and dreams and goals. We all strive to decide to pursue them. But sometimes we need some direction or inspiration. Here are fifteen books that will inspire you to follow your dreams.
I’ve been right where you are at. The first time was in January 2014. I had just watched a clip on CBS This Morning about a family where both parents lost their jobs. Together they read all the books on the bestseller list at the time, and then the wife sat down to write her own. Once she finished, she uploaded it to Smashwords and sold 500 copies in a day. Who was this author that inspired me? Her name is Jasinda Wilder.
A year and three months later, I published my first book. I also published two more books the same year and have never looked back. I also did a lot of reading during this time for inspiration. Here are fifteen books that will inspire you to follow your dreams.
Books to Inspire
1. Quitter by Jon Acuff-If you are looking for a book specifically about how to go from your day job to your dream job, this is it. Jon gives invaluable wisdom on the steps you should take while navigating this journey as well as providing great examples from his own life.
2. START by Jon Acuff-This book is especially great for Baby Boomers who are starting second and third careers, but it can apply to anyone. If you have an idea buzzing in your head, this book gives you sound advice on how to START and what to expect when you do.
3. DO OVER by Jon Acuff-Are you wondering if you have what it takes to have a great career? You do! All you need is relationships, skills, character, and hustle. In this inspiring book, Jon explains how anyone can have a DO OVER.
4. The 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss- The 4-hour workweek introduces the concept of the ‘new rich’ and is a fascinating read. I enjoyed reading about Timothy and how he got to be where he is. Whether it is for you or not, the concept and principles are still an inspiring read.
5. Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, MD-There are many mixed reviews on this book, but I loved it. It made me think differently about change and how people react as well as looking at failure differently.
6. Rhinoceros Success-Scott Alexander-Are you a cow letting life pass you by or are you a Rhinoceros that chases down what you want? This book is fantastic if you are ready to take life by the horns despite being surrounded by underachievers.
7. The Legend Of The Monk And The Merchant-Terry Felber- A great little book about twelve principles to base your life on.
8. Entreleadership-Dave Ramsey-This is an excellent book about author Dave Ramsey’s journey from the trenches to the top. Full of advice for the business owner who wants to grow their business and their team, this book is a must-read.
9. 48 Days To The Work You Love-Dan Miller-According to Dan Miller, a calling lights up your life. This book will help you understand and organize your skills, personality traits, values, dreams, and passions. It is an excellent blueprint for getting you on the path to the work you love in 48 days.
10. The Tortoise And The Hare by Aesop-Dave Ramsey once interviewed a billionaire, and he said that The Tortoise And The Hare was one of his favorite books about life and business.
I asked my husband for a copy for Christmas. Every once in a while when things get hard, I will sit down and read it to remind myself that ‘slow and steady wins the race. Therefore, this is a great, simple book to read for encouragement.
11. Serve No Master by Jonathan Green-This book is an inspiration for anyone who wants to get out of the rat race, control their destiny, and serve no master. Therefore, anyone who is looking to leave their job needs to read this book.
12. Fire Your Boss by Jonathan Green-If you’re sick of working for a boss who despises you and only pays you what they think you’re worth; you need this book.
13. Breaking Orbit by Jonathan Green-If you are looking to publish your first book on Amazon successfully, this book will walk you through every step from A-Z.
14. Breakthrough by Jonathan Green-This book is all about mastering your fate with the skills and talents you already have and breaking through the barriers that are keeping you from starting your own business and being successful.
15. Jump by Steve Harvey-If Steve’s speech to his Family Feud audience in 2016 inspires you; this book dives deeper into those principals.
I have learned all kinds of lessons from the resources above and have read some of them more than once. However, making big life decisions and deciding to chase your dreams is a noble pursuit.
I encourage you to pick one up and let it inspire you, and I wish you the best in whatever you want to pursue.
Do you have a favorite book about business, life, or pursuing your dreams? Let me know in the comments.