Some people will tell you that you can start a successful online business with a $10 domain name and $2.50 a month web site hosting, but this is not the case. It takes a lot more than that to find success. There are many things that go into having a successful online business, especially as an author. Here is a list of authorship essentials that you will need in your career.
Authorship Essentials: The Nuts and Bolts
Web Site Design
- Domain/Hosting (Do not get your domain and hosting from the same company.)
- Paid theme (Do not use a free theme, sometimes they can have viruses and malware.)
- Stock photo site subscription (Depositphotos, 123rf)
- Printable resource library for your newsletter (Some kind of opt-in to give your email subscribers.)
Plug-Ins For Your Site
- Antispam (Free, can upgrade to paid)
- Backup (Free)
- Caching (Free)
- Email Sign Up (Free)
- Image Compression (Free)
- Security (Free, can upgrade to paid)
- Social Share Icons (Free)
- Cookie GDPR (Free)
Keep in mind, you don’t want to have too many plugins on your site because they can slow it down.
- An email service provider (MailChimp, ConvertKit, etc-Free or Paid)
- P.O. Box (Must have to send newsletters.)
- Newsletter (Weekly, Biweekly, or monthly.)
- Amazon Author Page (Link your author page to your blog.)
- Tailwind (Pinterest and Instagram scheduler)
- Planoly (Schedule and manage Instagram)
- Social media handles on all platforms
- IG graphic design (If graphic arts isn’t your thing, hire someone.)
- Pinterest graphic design (If graphic arts isn’t your thing, hire someone.)
- Pinterest traffic expert
- Instagram graphic expert
- Post on social media regularly
- Book Launch Strategy (This is crucial to your success.)
- Discount Book Web sites (Free or Paid)
- Ad Campaign
- Web site traffic expert.
More Essentials For Your Authorship Journey
- Researcher (Good for both fiction and non-fiction writers.)
- VA (Virtual Assistant)-To help you get tasks done and/or do the things you don’t want/like to do.
- IT Tech Person-To help with on-page/off-page SEO and other issues.
- Writer-To help with writing blog posts.
- Cover Design
You can find many of these professionals on sites like Fiverr and Upwork.
Authorship is a constant journey of learning, it never stops. Things are changing all the time.
- Legal policies from a lawyer.
One more thing I highly recommend is starting a savings account so you will have the money you need to spend on moving you and your books forward. The last thing you want to do is remain stagnant with no subscribers and no traffic and live in a virtual cave. You and your books deserve better than that. The world needs your words and there are people out there who can’t wait to be part of your “tribe”. These are the people that will love you and all that you do.