The importance of updating your web site is critical when you are in online business. This point became glaringly clear, thank you to my friend Jamie, earlier this week. She is studying a lot about social media. She gently, but firmly, let me know that both of my sites were not exactly pleasing to the eye.
The Importance of Updating Your Web Site.
I had heard this before, but I just kind of kept my head buried in the sand. Why? I think it was a few things.
1. I was having a hard time letting go of something I built myself that took me forever to do. I knew it wasn’t great, but I was proud of it anyway.
2. I didn’t know how to change my theme or what I even wanted for a theme.
3. I didn’t want to go through the headache of having to build a site all over again. It took me messing with three different web site “themes” in the beginning to finally get it right.
4. Since I have two sites, one for my ‘books and author coaching’ and one for my ‘freelance writing’, I had no idea how to transfer all the blog posts and other info to the new site.
Thankfully, my friend offered to help me. She showed me a ‘mock up’ of my site with a theme she bought and didn’t use. I fell absolutely in love with it. If I bought the theme from the designer, she would install it and set it up for me. I agreed and bought it so she could get to work asap.
I now have a site that I am extremely proud of. It looks more professional and is much cleaner and more polished.
Ideas for Finding Help Updating Your Website.
If you are just starting out or want to update your site, but are not sure how to go about it, there are a few things you can do.
1. If you have a friend who specializes in web design, ask them to help you.
2. Ask around online in groups and such to see if you can find a recommendation.
3. If you have a bigger budget, research designers in your area and contact them for pricing.
Having a beautiful web site doesn’t have to be complicated. With a little research, you are bound to find the resources you need to fit your budget.