One of my favorite holidays is coming up fast, St. Patrick’s Day. This is one of those holidays where you can find lots of ideas for activities and crafts to do with your class. Here are some ideas to shower the Luck of the Irish: St. Patrick’s Day Activities for Your Classroom.
Luck of the Irish: St. Patrick’s Day Activities for Your Classroom.
Activities for Toddlers and Twos
- Let them play with green play doh
- Let them finger paint with different colors to make a rainbow
- Paint Shamrocks and add gold glitter
- Serve Lucky Charms cereal and green tinted milk at snack time
- Let them dance to up-tempo Irish music
- Ask them to all wear green
- Hide plastic gold coins and have a ‘Hunt for Gold’ or Fill a black painted bucket with gold coins and hide it in your classroom for them to find a ‘Pot o’ Gold’.
For Older Kids
- Read a book to them about the history of St. Patrick’s Day
- Get a black paper bag for each child in your class, write their name on it with gold marker, and fill it with goodies (candy, pencils, fake tattoos, and other stuff from the dollar store) and have them all hunt for their own ‘Pot o’ Gold’.
- Decorate Shamrock shaped cookies with icing and sprinkles
- Discuss different Irish traditions and symbols (claddagh, trinity knot) with your class.
- Tint the milk green at breakfast. Serve ‘root beer’ at lunch time for a special treat.
- With parents permission, paint the kids faces with shamrocks, rainbows, and pots of gold or gold coins.
- Make leprechaun sand. https://www.livewellplaytogether.com/leprechaun-sand-science-experiment-for-kids/
- Contact your local Irish Society and see if someone will come in and talk about Ireland. You could also see if someone who plays the bagpipes could come in and play for your class.
- Get a map of Ireland and show your class different areas of the country.
Do you have a favorite activity to do with your class for St. Patrick’s Day? If so, please let me know in the comments. May the luck of the Irish be with you and your class to have a great St. Patrick’s Day this year.