Are you wanting to start a writing career but all the information out there is making your head swim? I feel you. I’m being constantly bombarded with this books, classes and courses constantly. It is enough to make anyone’s head swim.
Today I have decided to make a list of my 10 favorite books about writing. Some are self-published by some of the best writer’s I know and others are tried and true classics, ranging from freelance writing, to ghost writing to writing children’s books.
I highly recommend starting with one of these and then branching out for more information as you need it.
- Stephen King-On Writing-This classic book is full of great stories and tips from the master of horror. Regardless of what you want to write, there is a treasure trove of information to gain from this book.
2. Make Money Freelance Writing– Gina Horkey is the founder of Horkey Handbook, a website for those interested in freelance writing, while Sally Miller is an author and freelance writer in her own right.
Let these two dynamic ladies teach you how to start a freelance business from scratch. Learn step by step how to become a freelance writer and build the business of your dreams.
3. How To Make Money Ghostwriting by Cruz Santana and Sally Miller–Are you interested in learning more about ghostwriting? Do you already have a freelance writing business and want to level up your skills?
This book will teach you how. Cruz Santana and Sally Miller will show you the steps you need to take to land clients you will love.
4. Writer For Hire by Kelly James Enger– This book is broken down into 101 tips for being a successful freelance writer, making it easy to implement one tip at a time.
5. You Write, They Pay by Susan Anderson-This is another great book about how to start a freelance writing business.
6. The Elements Of Style-This book has been a standard in writing since over a century ago. If you’re looking to have a better understanding of grammar, you need this book. (And so do I, time to order an updated version for myself.) 🙂
7. The Writer’s Market-This book is another standard when it comes to writing and publishing your work. It is available in various genres like Novel& Short Stories, Christian and Poet’s Markets to name a few.
8. Yahoo! Style Guide-If you are just starting to write for the web, this is a very valuable resource. It covers topics like constructing clear and compelling copy, writing eye-catching and effective headlines, creating better blogs and newsletters, etc.
9. The Everything Guide To Writing Children’s Books-If you’re looking to write and publish a children’s book traditionally, this is a great resource.
Whether you are looking to start a freelance writing business, write a children’s book, or just write a book period, you are bound to find some valuable resources here. So pick a book and dive in, your new career is waiting with the turn of a page.