I love foreign films. Many people don’t like reading subtitles but I don’t mind at all. I love the diversity and richness of foreign films as far as the plots, acting, and scenery. It’s kind of like taking a trip to another country almost. Here is a list of some of my favorites.
My Favorite Foreign Films
1. Like Water For Chocolate-This is the story about a young couple who wants to marry but Tita is forbidden because it is her duty to take care of her aging mother. So, Pedro marries her sister instead so he can be close to her. However, when Tita is asked to make the wedding cake, she realizes she can do interesting things with her cooking.
2. Red-A runway models life intersects with a jaded retired judge. Their growing friendship forces them to open up to each other in surprising ways. Meanwhile, down the street, a more sinister story unfolds.
3. White-This movie tells the mysterious tale of how a man’s life unravels after his wife of six months leaves him. Having no choice but to begin again, he rebuilds his life and plots a plan of vengeance against her.
More Foreign Films
4. Blue-This movie is about a woman who is grieving over the death of her husband and young daughter. Learning about the life of her late composer husband, she finds liberation and frees herself from the past.
5. Life Is Beautiful-This movie is a story about family, love, and courage when a Jewish Italian man and his young son are separated from his wife and taken to a concentration camp. Determined not to let his son know the terror and uncertainty of his surroundings, the man convinces the boy that their time in the camp is a game.
6. Maria Full of Grace-Maria, a desperate teenager who wants to get out of Columbia, agrees to be a drug mule and smuggle packets of heroin by swallowing them into the United States. However, not everything goes as planned.
Although these movies contain adult content and heavy themes, they are still good movies. If you are a fan of foreign film and are looking for a great movie, I hope you’ll give one of these a shot. Do you have a favorite foreign film? I would love to know in the comments.