It’s that time of year again. The leaves are falling, the air is crisp, and our favorite flavors are back in season. Chances are your book club is gearing up for a spooky read for Halloween. There are plenty of books, both fiction and non-fiction about ghosts, scary situations, romances and more. What is better than a good book? Great eats to go with them. Today I will be sharing spooky reads and treats for your book club this Halloween.
Spooky Reads and Treats For Your Book Club This Halloween.
Heart Pounding Page Turners.
- Carrie by Stephen King-If you haven’t read Stephen King, and some people haven’t, you really should. Yes, his ideas are very dark and twisted but at the same time he is a genius to think of this stuff. King’s writing is very detailed and he goes into a lot of background detail. Although I haven’t read any of his books in years, this is one of my favorite things about them. Carrie is about a girl who is an outcast who has telekinetic powers who gets even with those who have wronged her.
- Firestarter by Stephen King-This story is about a little girl named Charlie who can start fires with her mind.
- Christine by Stephen King-A story about the ultimate car obsession.
- The Funhouse by Dean Koontz-This book is about a girl who runs away and joins a carnival. From there she turns her life into a nightmare by marrying a man she hates and giving birth to a child she doesn’t love. A child she kills by her own hands. Many years later she has turned her life around with a new family and a husband she adores. The only problem is that the carnival is coming back to town. I read this book years ago and it gave me the creeps big time. I’m no longer a fan of carnivals.
- The Knight Of Cups by Kevin Wright-If you like horror and fantasy, this book will be right up your alley. This book is about a Chicago detective named Tom Chapel who discovers the world is much darker than he ever imagined. I haven’t read this book yet but my husband is reading it right now and loves it.
More Spooky Reads
- 6. The Queen Of Pentacles by Kevin Wright- This is the second book in the Danse series. Chicago detective Tom Chapel finds himself between two clans, the Synod of Crows and the offshoot of the Russian mafia that has come to town. Which one should he choose? These creatures act like humans during the day but are hunters in the night.
7. Evil Speaks Softly by Maureen L. Bonatch-Like the female writers in her family before her, Liv has become famous by following in their footsteps. Then she changed the story and her villain does not like the revision. Only, he isn’t a fictional character.
8. A Darker Dream by Amanda Ashley-I read this book years ago and in my opinion, this is how vampires should be done. I read the Twilight series and liked it, but prefer these kinds of books better. Rhianna McLeod’s father sold her to Rayven to put food on the table. Rayven is drawn to her warmth and light, but knows he can’t run the risk of getting close to her. Instead, he gives her the finest clothes and education and the run of the castle, everything but his love. She is drawn to him too and grows to love him like no one else.
Chills and Thrills.
9. Fractured Spirits by Sylvia Shults-This book is for those who like true ghost stories. It is about the Peoria State Hospital (aka: Zellers), which was a premiere hospital for the mentally ill in its day. In this book, ghost hunting groups, former nurses, and ordinary people share their stories about the hospital.
10. Rabbit in Red by Joe Chianakas- Bill Wise and Jaime Stein both have blood and the betrayal of death in their pasts. This is why they love horror movies. They take refuge in the deaths of others. Now they and seventeen other teens have gathered at Rabbit In Red studios, to participate in the contest of their lives. This contest is put on by horror movie producer Jay “JB” Bell. The best will be rewarded with cash, internships and the opportunity to make the movies they love. But soon life begins to imitate art. Will they be strong enough to confront terror and save their friends? Or will they all fall victim to JB’s plans?
11. Lithium Dreams and Melancholy Sunrise-This is a book of deep, dark poetry about love. Common themes include love, heartache, and unrequited love.
12. Shadow Of Soul-This is another book of deep, desolate poetry.
Fun and Tasty Treats
- Jack O Lantern Chips n Dip from Tasty.
- Deliciously Rotten Deviled Eggs from Parentingchaos.
- Spider Web Taco Dip from ThriftyFun
- Mini Spider Pizzas from Reciperunner.
- Monster Doughnuts from A Time For Seasons
- Oreo Eyeball Cookies from 100directions
- Witch Brooms and Hats from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Halloween Candy Bark from Cucina de Yung
- Swamp Potion from Whoneedsacape
- Blood Orange Punch from Taste Of Home
These suggestions should help your book club have a Spooktacular time together. So cozy up and grab a snack, thrills and chills await.