There are all kinds of opinions about having a television at daycare. There are parents who think having a television is okay. Other parents think they shouldn’t be available at all. As a former daycare teacher, I don’t have a problem with having a television in the center at all . My only stipulation is that it is used sparingly. Kids should be learning something while they watch. There are a many educational programs out there that kids love. Today I’m going to share with you the top 10 educational shows for children that my former students really enjoyed.
Top 10 Educational Shows for Children.
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse-This series features everyone’s favorite, Mickey Mouse and all his friends. Mickey teaches kids how to problem solve and also teaches early mathematics skills.
- Sesame Street–This classic show teaches kids all kinds of things like letters and numbers, colors and shapes, and how to handle different social situations. All through the years, the show has remained fresh and relevant.
- Bubble Guppies-This show mixes music, dancing and learning in a fun and interesting format. Each morning the Bubble Guppies usually find something that catches their interest on the way to school. Whatever the subject is, it is looked at from different angles throughout the rest of the show.
- The Backyardigans–Kids loved The Backyardigans because they use their imaginations to go on some epic adventures in their backyard.
- Sid the Science Kid-If you have a kid that loves science then they will love Sid the Science Kid. Sid uses his inquisitive mind to learn about science and the world around him.
More Educational Shows for Children
6. Leap Frog videos-These videos usually feature a cute frog who teaches kids about letters, numbers, etc. Our kids loved them.
7. Dora the Explorer-Dora is a true pioneer in learning, teaching problem solving and Spanish.
8.The Wiggles-Although this show may not stimulate mental intelligence, it makes up for that by teaching kids to move and be silly.
9.The Wonder Pets– This show is about three classroom pets that go out and help animals who are in trouble. This show is great in that it teaches teamwork, kindness, and how important it is to help each other.
10. Blue’s Clues–Who doesn’t love Blue? This classic show teaches kids how to look for clues and figure out problems. This show also helps build self-esteem as kids figure out clue after clue.
Television doesn’t have to be the enemy. With a little research and lots of variety, we can provide educational television for children for years and years to come. Do your kids have a favorite educational show? I would love to hear about it in the comments. Even as an adult I love Bubble Guppies and The Wonder Pets so this goes to show you they aren’t just for kids. They are also for the kid at heart.