What if I told you there was something simple you could do to make yourself look more professional? What if I told you it would only take about an hour of your time to set up? Not only that, this “thing” will add income to your business and it is a hot, hot seller. This “thing” is an audiobook.
Top 10 Reasons to Publish an Audiobook
It is our job as authors to serve our readers and that means having our books in various formats. Having your book in Kindle, paperback, hardback and audiobook will make you look like a true professional. I’m working on this right now for my books, and the process couldn’t be more straightforward. Still, you may need some convincing on why you should do this for your business.
You look like a professional author.
Think about it; your favorite authors have their books in lots of different formats. People like to read in many different ways. On screen, via crisp paper and ink and on the road. Who wouldn’t want to meet those needs?
The process is simple- The process to set up an e-book takes less than an hour, and the process from start to finish takes from 6-8 weeks, depending on how long the book is. What is the process? Here are the steps in starting your journey to your audiobook.
- Set up your ACX account and fill in all your information. (Registration, banking, taxes, etc.)
- Find and claim your book.
- Click on the button that says you need someone to produce your book.
- Read and accept the licensing agreement.
- Fill out copyright information.
- Fill out the title and all the info to find a narrator for your book. (Gender, accent, voice age, language, and vocal style).
- Fill in the box with your marketing plan and details to convince narrators to work with you.
- Choose an audition script. (Since I did a children’s book, I chose different scenes with different characters for my narrator to be able to do different voices for each character.) Also, add the word count of your book.
- As far as payment, choose the royalty share option. This option means you will share the profits of your book with your narrator.
- Review and post your ad.
- Wait two weeks for auditions to roll in. In the meantime, search for narrators in your genre and see who stands out to you. If you like them, send them a message.
- Before you start listening to auditions, make sure you download all of them onto your computer.
- Once you find the perfect voice, make an offer.
- When they accept the offer, I give them a week to record the first 15 minutes.
- After you get the first 15 minutes, listen carefully and make sure there are no missing or extra words, things are pronounced correctly, etc.
- Approve or deny your first 15 min. (Consequently, if there are issues, message your producer.)
- Therefore, once I approve the first 15 minutes, I give them a week to record the rest of the book.
- Once I get the final file, and I’m happy with it, I hit “Approve Book.”
- From there, ACX reviews it and lets me know if there are any issues on their end.
- If not, they move it along for distribution. The whole process can take about 6-8 weeks.
- Once your book is for sale, ACX will send you an email.
More Reasons to Publish an Audiobook
3. There is minimal time commitment-As mentioned above; this is not a great, big, time-consuming thing. Therefore, you can have your audiobook out in a matter of weeks.
4. You can make connections-This is also a great way to network. If you use a narrator that you think will be perfect for a friend’s book too, let your friend look them up on ACX and see what they think.
5. Audiobooks can boost your income-Audiobooks are a hot seller due to our connected on-the-go society. They are a great way to increase your income.
6. You don’t have to create new content-This is one of the best things. You don’t have to create new content. It’s not like you have to sit down and write a whole new book. You can take the books you have and transform them to be sold in a fresh, appealing way.
7. Copies of your other books will sell-There’s something about different formats that appeal to people.
8. No money up front-This is one of my favorite parts if you are new or don’t have a lot of money. You don’t have to put up any money to do this. You and your narrator are in a partnership to make money instead of him or her being an employee. I love that.
9. You don’t have to create a new cover or do any formatting-You don’t have to create a brand new cover or format another book. The only tweak you will need to do is make your cover into a square per ACX dimensions. (I had my illustrator do this for me.)
10. Its Fun-It is a fun process listening to different auditions and finding the perfect voice. Each narrator has their way of doing things, and it’s cool to hear to each one’s style.
Audiobooks are a win-win for your business. No upfront costs, an easy set up and process, and you will be adding money to your bottom line. Take some time and start looking for your perfect voice today.