Holy cow, I can’t believe it’s September already. Where did the summer go? In many states, kids are already in school. It’s time to get back to routine, homework and running the kids everywhere for after school activities and practices. I can hear both kids and parents alike, groaning over the end of summer vacation. In order to commemorate this every year occurrence, why not have a movie night? Gather the kids and adults around for popcorn and the top twenty movies for back to school to remind them that it really isn’t so bad.
Top 20 Movies For Back to School.
Movies for Kids (Ages 3-6).
- Sesame Street-Ready for School-This movie will help ease kids anxieties when it comes to school.
- Back to School with Franklin-I loved this turtle as a kid and in this DVD, Franklin is excited to school after summer vacation.
- Curious George: Back to School-Everyone’s favorite little monkey is excited to return to school. He is excited to learn from every environment, from school to home.
More Back to School Movies
4. Diary of a Wimpy Kid-This movie follows the humorous struggles of a boy starting the sixth grade.
5. Akeelah and the Bee-A young girl defies the odds to compete in the National Spelling Bee.
6. School of Rock-Jack Black stars as an out of work musician who turns a prep school class into a band.
7. Freaky Friday-This is a great movie for kids and parents to watch together and open a dialogue on how to understand each other better.
8. Mean Girls-Another great movie for teens and parents to watch together to open a conversation about cliques and bullying. Teens should also be reminded that they are enough.
9. The Breakfast Club-Yes, I know this is rated ‘R’ but it can still be a good movie for older children (13+) to watch. This movie is a good example for parents to “show” their children “why” they don’t agree with certain topics/situations. It can lead to kids making better choices about both the media they consume and life in general.
10. Wonder-I saw this movie over the weekend and absolutely loved it. It is a great movie about teaching inclusion and acceptance.
Movies for Adults.
1. Dead Poet’s Society-This movie is about a teacher who is armed with only the work of the best poets to teach. With this, he teaches his students self determination. This is one of my favorite movies.
2. Dangerous Minds-Michelle Pfieffer stars in this story about an ex-Marine turned teacher in a poor area of the city.
3. Freedom Writers-This movie stars Hilary Swank as a teacher who tries to unify her racially divided students by having them keep journals of their lives.
4. Finding Forrester-Starring Sean Connery, a young prodigy is shaped by a reclusive author.
5. Grease-John Travolta and Olivia Newton John, need I say more?
6. Clueless-Gather the girls and reminisce about your own high school days.
7.Half Nelson-This movie is about a high school teacher who befriends a student after he/she finds out about his drug addiction.
8. Pay It Forward-One of my all time favorite movies about a teacher who challenges his students to change the world, one act of kindness at a time.
9.Animal House-Gather the guys in the man cave and either relive your college days or talk about the present ones.
10. Precious-This movie is about an overweight, abused, pregnant teen who has the chance to go to an alternative school and hopefully turn her around.
So invite your friends or your kids friends over to reminisce or get excited about back to school. Add some fun, laughs, snacks, and start your school year off right.