There is nothing like a family movie involving animals. Our furry, feathered and reptilian friends have been starring in films and television since way back in the day. Shows like Lassie, Flipper, and the famous Mister Ed, the talking horse. Today I’m sharing my top five family movies featuring animals. So grab the crew, put out extra blankets for your pets and enjoy a relaxing afternoon with these movie recommendations.
Top 5 Family Movies Featuring Animals
- Charlotte’s Web-Regardless of what version you see, animated or with Dakota Fanning, this classic never gets old. Wilbur is a pig who gets rescued by his best friend, Charlotte, who is a spider. By writing words in her web, she helps Wilbur avoid becoming dinner.
- Babe: Pig In The City-This movie is about a pig who thinks he’s a sheepdog. Babe faces pressures to conform to being what he is, a pig. However, he chooses to retain his individuality.
- The Secret Life Of Pets-This movie answers the question, “What do our pets do when we’re not home?” Things like gossiping with their friends and all kinds of other shenanigans.
- Sing-This movie is about a koala who presides over a theatre that has fallen on hard times. His only chance at saving it is to produce the world’s greatest singing competition.
- Madagascar-A group of zoo animals experience some culture shock when they wind up in Africa.
More Family Movies Featuring Animals
6. An American Tail-Russian mouse Fievel is lost at sea while on a boat coming to America. Washing up in New York Harbor, the courageous mouse goes on an eye-opening journey to find his family.
7. Hop-This is a movie about following your dreams. E.B. is the son of the official Easter Bunny, but he does not dream of carrying on the holiday legacy. Instead, he wants to be in a rock band. Will he be able to follow his dreams?
8. Finding Nemo-A cute clownfish named Nemo gets washed out to see and has to find his way back to his family.
9. Finding Dory-in this follow up to Finding Nemo, Nemo’s best friend, Dory, gets lost and has to find her way back home. Nemo goes out on an adventure to help find his forgetful friend.
10. Hachi: A Dog’s Tale-I recommend watching this movie with older kids. It’s about a dog who waits for his owner at the train station every day. After his owner passes, he continues to wait for him for ten years. Grab the tissues; I bawled my eyes out at this movie.
These movies are guaranteed to help your family have the purrfect afternoon or evening.